Monday, April 25, 2005

A Widow's Mite

You remember the account from the Gospel of Mark chapter 12 starting at verse 41 and going through verse 44. A woman came to church and gave all that she had, which equaled less than a penny, and Jesus commented that she gave more than all the others because of degree of sacrifice not the amount. That was some 2000 years ago but I saw it yesterday!!!

We had a representative from a local Gideon Camp, the organization that places Bibles and Testaments all around the world, come and give a report during worship. After the closing of worship the Gideon rep. stood near the back of our meeting place with a Bible Open to receive any monies that anyone felt like giving. I had already placed money in an envelope and put it into the open Bible. Many others did the same. Then she came; a frail and wonderful seasoned Christian woman, not a widow, but never married. As I was talking with the Gideon rep. She emptied her change purse into the Bible. Immediately I was struck by God's Word...all that she had. I gave cheerfully. She gave sacrificially. I know God will use her gift in mighty ways and I know that He moved in me.

The Bible says that Holy Scripture is living and active, shaper than any sword and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. What a mighty God He is.

Peace

No comments: