Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Geothermal Heat

I recently watched a commercial that advocated for the efficiency of heating with geothermal sources. It was interesting to me how they attached such heating with being friendly to the environment. Here's the rub.

I'm 40 years old and I remember back to the 70's when the environmentalists said that "unless we did something drastic acid rain was going to kill us all." That's a little bit hyperbolic. But since the fear mongering of the environmentalists caught on in the 70's the past 40 years has paraded out one "environmental crisis" after the next.

Now understand I am not advocating the wanton destruction of the environment but I believe that it is hubris to think that we "control" the destiny of this planet. God has placed us here as stewards of His creation and we ought to fulfill that duty with vigilance but I am going to make a prediction. And I want to be the first on record.

Heating with geothermal energy will one day come under scrutiny of the "environmental crowd" and will, I predict, be declared as harmful to the environment because slowly we are changing the temperature of the earth's crust. There, that's my prediction.

Here's the thing. Plastic bags were going to save landfill space and trees because they replaced paper bags. Not even 30 years have gone by and now plastic bags are being outlawed as harmful to the environment. We have developed energy efficient light bulbs that can save $47.00 per year but the reason they are so efficient is because they contain mercury. Oops...what happens when they go to the landfills and break and all that mercury gets into the water table? Hmmmmm..... that's a tough one.

My point. Love God with all your mind. Be reasonable when it comes to the use of natural resources. Love God with your whole heart and do not give into the fear of the "environmental gang." Love God with your whole self. Don't worship trees or rain or plastic or global warming...

No comments: