Thursday, May 26, 2005

Hal Lindsay said it first

I remember reading Hal Lindsay many years ago and thinking, "Wow that sounds so possible." Then I began to read others and the Bible itself and thought, "Hmmm, maybe not quite." But I sort of stand corrected. What I am referring to is the idea that Lindsay et. al. have postulated would always happen during the "end times." Based upon a certain understanding of the passage in the Bible that discusses the mark of the Beast certain end times thinkers have linked the mark of the beast with some kind of identification.

In the movie series of the late 70's it was a bar code on the hand or forehead. This mark has undergone many changes as technology changes. World data bases of fingerprints, sub-dermal [under the skin] computer chips, etc. have all been ideas. I never gave much credibility to such conspiracy type of identification systems. What I would reason was that the mark of the beast was more like a "spiritual" mark. Whether that is correct or not remains a matter for serious theological chatting. But here is an article that raises the bar just enough for me to raise an eyebrow.

US wants to be able to access Britons' ID cards

I understand that in the name of National Security in the world we live in many "freedoms" have been, shall we say, willingly forfeited but I'm not sure they have all been necessary. Especially of note are those that relate to travel. It seems to me that none of this excessiveness would be necessary if plane doors were more secure, and pilots had guns. But that is old thinking. And has been said much better by Ann Coulter anyways. My point in bringing it up is simply to raise the point. Could Hal have been somewhat right?

Feel free to file this one under humorous rants?


Peace

No comments: