Thursday, May 26, 2005

The "real" enemy

Recently I was back east for a wedding and I had the chance to spend time with relatives. There was one conversation of particular interest in the "political" climate in which we live. I have said elsewhere that I believe the church in America knows nothing of honest persecution, like other believers around the globe. But we may be on the road.

Here is what one of my aunts related to me. A certain church in her town is celebrating it's 50th anniversary. They sent out invitations to some of the residents of that town. As my aunt was standing in the driveway a neighbor came running over holding up their copy of the invitation and was saying things along the lines of, "These people are the problem. These evangelicals are the real enemy" and so forth. Then the neighbor stated to my aunt, "You're not one of them are you?" To which my aunt answered, "Yes I am." The response from the neighbor, "Oh, I'm sorry." My aunt followed with, "I'm not." Upon hearing my aunt's answer I began to smile and thought, "Well bless God."

I purposely have left out names and places because those aren't the point. If you have been reading closely there are many columnists in the semi-mainstream media who are taking up the torch and defending "evangelicals." I'm not so sure about their motives nor their intent but the God I know is big enough to handle it. Maybe He is using these reporters or maybe He is working in these reporters. But I tend to think that the neighbor had a point. I seem to recall that Christ said the world would hate us because it hated Him. My aunt didn't go looking to be hated or to be the real enemy but let's face it we are. And while we're at it let's practice answering like my aunt did and not be sorry for it.

Peace

No comments: