Friday, May 06, 2005

Passion [a.k.a. a post for mom]

I would suspect that if you aren’t my mother you will not think that this article will mean anything to you but I would encourage reading it all the way through and then deciding.

You see this article isn’t really about my mother it is about God. That having been said let me tell you about a day in the life of a son.

During my senior year in high school I was elected as the vice president of the class. One of my responsibilities in that role was to deliver a speech on what we knew as “Class Night.” The speech was to center around a rose ceremony. As I spoke each student was to deliver a rose to their parents, their mother’s in particular. I did my duty but my speech centered more upon the nature of being parents than it did upon the symbolism of the rose. Stuff like; mom getting up at 6 am just to pack a lunch, and dad handing over 5 bucks every time I asked for it. Smarmy stuff like that. I have never been accused of being too emotional. I meant every word of it. I appreciate my folks and I love my mother. Well after I delivered my rose to my mom she hugged me. Read that again, she hugged me. You would have to be related to my mother to understand what that means but let me try and explain it to you.

My mom is all of five foot two inches tall. She is a small Italian woman who is passionate about her family. That passion most often translates into the average regular stuff that mom’s do. Washing and ironing, transporting kids to sports events, cooking and cleaning…you know mom stuff. But whenever my mom gets the chance to hug you and she’s feeling that passion you better be prepared. The only way I can explain it in words, for those of you who haven’t experienced it, you better have taken a deep breath because she’s going to hold on for a long time and it’s going to be tighter than you can possibly imagine. I have a picture of that “Class Night” hug and I can still feel it. And that’s a good thing. Like I said before, I love my mother. [And right about now she’s probably reading this and crying]
Happy Mother’s Day Mom

Now here is the God thing. I just want to ask a simple question. Actually a few simple questions. Do you love God? Do you tell Him? When? How often? Do you show Him? How? Are you passionate about your relationship with God? Are you sure? Have you been hugged by God today? John 3:16

Last question…when was the last time you hugged God?

Peace

No comments: