Friday, June 24, 2005

Why Dick Durbin will not be in heaven

because he doesn't know how to admit guilt. To be completely honest I am not judging Senator Durbin's eternal destiny. That isn't my job and I am more than delighted to leave that to the One whose job it is for all of us.

By now you have heard and the hype is over about the Senator's comment concerning GITMO and his subsequent reasons for saying what he said. By comparing the "Americans in control of prisoners" to Nazis and so forth he created a fire-storm of criticism with most calling for an apology. At first he offered explanations of what he meant with respect to the Adminstration and their policies of interrogation. That was followed by his regret "if" he was misunderstood.

"I have learned from my statement that historical parallels can be misused and misunderstood. I sincerely regret if what I said caused anyone to misunderstand my true feelings: our soldiers around the world and their families at home deserve our respect, admiration and total support." Durbin Senate Statement

Then he came forward with his apology. Which as you read it you see that it really isn't. That is why I titled this post as such. In the above scenario replace the American public and critics of Sen. Durbin with God and replace Sen. Durbin with yourself. In the course of events you and I say and do things that are just wrong. We become aware of their wrongness and we seek to explain our rationale for such "wrongness" only to realize that still doesn't change their wrongness nor our condition of being wrong. Then we attempt to justify and posture ourselves as being regretful about our wrongness. That is a step, albeit a tiny one, in the correct direction but it still isn't sufficient to move us from our position of being wrong.

Turning to Sen. Durbin's apology. Associated Press Article The apology, however, falls incredibly short. "Some may believe that my remarks crossed the line, to them I extend my heartfelt apologies." That isn't an admission of being wrong. That's being condescending about the possibility of being wrong. I honestly do not want to castigate Sen. Durbin for his insufficient political apology. I don't really believe that he thinks that he was wrong and that is my whole "eternal destiny" point.

Go back to the substitution of God as the American public and you and I as Sen. Durbin. Offering this kind of apology to God for our "wrongness" isn't going to wash with Him. Only when we fully admit our guilt and complete need of forgiveness, only when we change our minds about offense that is Godward for our personal sin can we begin to fathom the gift of salvation offered in Jesus Christ. "But God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us."

We who are "wrong" before God must say, "I am wrong I need Your forgiveness through Jesus Christ." That isn't quite the same as "Some people say that I have offended you God, if that is true I regret that"

No explanations, no excuses, just admit it...we're guilty...and need Christ.

Peace

No comments: