Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Gadget Overload

I consider myself a techno-geek wannabe. Don't get me wrong I am not being derogatory when I use the word geek. I am of the firm opinion that geeks run the world. But that's another post. Like I said technology geek wannabe. That is to say that I love gadgets and toys of the technological variety. But I am not so enthralled by the stuff that I would consider myself "up on the latest." If my PDA meets my needs I'm good to go. Last night I saw something that just made me say..."Ok that's enough." It was for some cell phone company that has a cool add-on feature. Ring backs that are downloaded music.

Let say you call someone and their line is busy. You can leave a directive for the "phone" to keep dialing until the person that you called is off the call that made the line busy. Then when their phone rings they pick up and instead of hearing your ringer tone they hear music that you have chosen for them to listen to. Then your phone rings and you pick it up.

I agree, that is amazing as far as a neat trick of technology is concerned. But as I watched and thought about it I asked, "Why?" Just because it's neat I guess. To whomever thought up the idea...kudos. To whomever implemented the idea...kudos. To whomever figured out the technology...kudos. And to whomever kept their job because of the technology...kudos. But with the price of gas and eventually a gallon of milk do we, the consumer, need more stuff?

File this under a Wednesday morning rant before I go see a man about a tooth...Bless God for dental technology.

Peace

No comments: