Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Calling strikes and balls

By now you have probably heard or seen in the beginning of the confirmation hearings fro Judge John Roberts his comment concerning the way in which he views the SCOTUS. He said that his job would be to call strikes and balls not pitch and bat. Wow what an insightful comment not only for him in this process. Nor only for his view of the SCOTUS but for all of life.

I like to call it 'knowing your role.' And we all need a little more of it in our lives. For example what is my role in helping my fellow Americans in the deep south after a horrible hurricane. I can sit here all I want and bemoan the length of time of response, which I do not find much of a lag, we aren't talking about FEMA or the Federal Governement or even State and Local Governement as if it were McDonald's are we??? Shame. Nor is it my role to politicize this as an issue on one side of the aisle or the other. People need help. What is my role? Prayer, money, opening my home to displced people? And so on. For that alone he should be confirmed. He has a great attitutde in knowing his role.

No comments: